It's the time of year for our annual Paddle-a-thon presented by McDonald's Mainland Halifax/Tantallon. This year due to COVID-19 there will be no pledge sheets or cash. Instead we've set up a GoFundMe page. Our goal is to raise $15,000 which we will use to renovate and install new washroom facilities. Please share on your social platforms. There will chances to win as well. #weareCheema #blackandgoldforever #LetsDoThis
All participants in the 2020 Summer Program must have the attached waiver signed and passed in to their coach on the first day of the program.
Hello Cheema Family,
We thought it timely to provide an update on how we are planning for our summer programming at Cheema. Public Health has not yet given us the full overview of how we can operate this summer. This is the reason why we have closed our summer registration for the time being. We may very well see a reduced number of participants at Cheema this summer due to Public Health 'rules of engagement'. Our focus at the moment is to put a viable plan in place to work with the youth we already have registered for this summer's programs. We will let the Cheema community know when/if the registration is re-opened based on directives we hope will come in the next week.
In the meantime, here are some general plans we currently have in the works:
1). Cheema has struck a COVID-19 Task Force that has been working diligently since the middle of May with the sole purpose of planning for summer. The task force is sourcing industrial/hospital grade cleaning supplies, PPE, signage, hand washing stations and extra washroom facilities.
2). Our coaching staff has been working on programming based on potential group ratios (ie. 14 paddlers to one coach vs 9 paddlers to one coach etc). Those ratios greatly impact how many coaches we need, how participants move about the property and utilize equipment. We will be fully compliant no matter the decision made by the Chief Medical Officer.
3). We are also anticipating there will be no crossover between groups permitted including sharing of coaches. To this end, shelters for each group will be designated on site where paddlers will gather and eat. There will be designated washroom and hand washing facilities.
4). We will be hiring staff for the summer who's sole responsibility will be to sanitize docks, boats, paddles and other equipment after each use. Shelters will be cleaned at the end of each day, washroom facilities multiple times per day.
5). Cleaning protocols and logistics for each block of the day are in development based on anticipated movement of groups.
6). There will be signage EVERYWHERE reminding paddlers of the rules on social distancing and sanitation protocols.
7). Drop off and pick up will be highly coordinated process. More details to come on that front.
8). Safety boats will be fully stocked with PPE in the event kids need to be pulled in to a safety boat. This will protect both our coaches and the paddlers.
This list is not exhaustive but is meant to give you an idea of the thought and planning that is going in to summer 2020 at Cheema. It is summer prep like we've never experienced before.
You should also note:
1). We will not be offering a canteen service this summer. This will ensure we avoid cross over between groups and reduce potential contact between our participants throughout the day. We will ensure there is a place for paddlers to store their lunch in their individual shelter out of the sun. We suggest using frozen gel packs to keep lunches cold.
2). We highly recommend that paddlers have their own life jacket. Paddles and boats will be much easier to sanitize than a life jacket made of fabric that sits closer to a person's body.
3). Any items left behind will be discarded at the end of each day. This is a public health directive that we are currently required to follow for our year round programs. It will be part of our summer protocols as well.
4). This will be a FUN summer at Cheema, we promise! Our coaches will be rearing to go to give participants an awesome paddling experience.
As we get closer to July 6, we will be holding a Zoom call to give parents an update on how protocols will be implemented and answer any questions. Stay tuned for details!
We hope this information is helpful. Our promise is that as soon we have information to share, the Cheema community will know. We are working really hard to minimize impacts to programming and ultimately to the Cheema family. The safety and security of our members is our #1 priority this summer.
As always, please reach out if you have any questions.