Join Our Dynamic Board Of Directors!
Notice of Annual General Meeting by Electronic Means
Special Meeting of Cheema Aquatic Club
Notice of Special Meeting
It's the time of year for our annual Paddle-a-thon presented by McDonald's Mainland Halifax/Tantallon. This year due to COVID-19 there will be no pledge sheets or cash. Instead we've set up a GoFundMe page. Our goal is to raise $15,000 which we will use to renovate and install new washroom facilities. Please share on your social platforms. There will chances to win as well. #weareCheema #blackandgoldforever #LetsDoThis
Summer Program Waiver
All participants in the 2020 Summer Program must have the attached waiver signed and passed in to their coach on the first day of the program.
Summer Update - June 1st, 2020
Hello Cheema Family,
We thought it timely to provide an update on how we are planning for our summer programming at Cheema. Public Health has not yet given us the full overview of how we can operate this summer. This is the reason why we have closed our summer registration for the time being. We may very well see a reduced number of participants at Cheema this summer due to Public Health 'rules of engagement'. Our focus at the moment is to put a viable plan in place to work with the youth we already have registered for this summer's programs. We will let the Cheema community know when/if the registration is re-opened based on directives we hope will come in the next week.
In the meantime, here are some general plans we currently have in the works:
1). Cheema has struck a COVID-19 Task Force that has been working diligently since the middle of May with the sole purpose of planning for summer. The task force is sourcing industrial/hospital grade cleaning supplies, PPE, signage, hand washing stations and extra washroom facilities.
2). Our coaching staff has been working on programming based on potential group ratios (ie. 14 paddlers to one coach vs 9 paddlers to one coach etc). Those ratios greatly impact how many coaches we need, how participants move about the property and utilize equipment. We will be fully compliant no matter the decision made by the Chief Medical Officer.
3). We are also anticipating there will be no crossover between groups permitted including sharing of coaches. To this end, shelters for each group will be designated on site where paddlers will gather and eat. There will be designated washroom and hand washing facilities.
4). We will be hiring staff for the summer who's sole responsibility will be to sanitize docks, boats, paddles and other equipment after each use. Shelters will be cleaned at the end of each day, washroom facilities multiple times per day.
5). Cleaning protocols and logistics for each block of the day are in development based on anticipated movement of groups.
6). There will be signage EVERYWHERE reminding paddlers of the rules on social distancing and sanitation protocols.
7). Drop off and pick up will be highly coordinated process. More details to come on that front.
8). Safety boats will be fully stocked with PPE in the event kids need to be pulled in to a safety boat. This will protect both our coaches and the paddlers.
This list is not exhaustive but is meant to give you an idea of the thought and planning that is going in to summer 2020 at Cheema. It is summer prep like we've never experienced before.
You should also note:
1). We will not be offering a canteen service this summer. This will ensure we avoid cross over between groups and reduce potential contact between our participants throughout the day. We will ensure there is a place for paddlers to store their lunch in their individual shelter out of the sun. We suggest using frozen gel packs to keep lunches cold.
2). We highly recommend that paddlers have their own life jacket. Paddles and boats will be much easier to sanitize than a life jacket made of fabric that sits closer to a person's body.
3). Any items left behind will be discarded at the end of each day. This is a public health directive that we are currently required to follow for our year round programs. It will be part of our summer protocols as well.
4). This will be a FUN summer at Cheema, we promise! Our coaches will be rearing to go to give participants an awesome paddling experience.
As we get closer to July 6, we will be holding a Zoom call to give parents an update on how protocols will be implemented and answer any questions. Stay tuned for details!
We hope this information is helpful. Our promise is that as soon we have information to share, the Cheema community will know. We are working really hard to minimize impacts to programming and ultimately to the Cheema family. The safety and security of our members is our #1 priority this summer.
As always, please reach out if you have any questions.
Cheema Spring Camp Online 50/50 Raffle
For those who were unable to attend the AGM on October 29, you can access both the Commodore's report and Treasurer's report below.
Annual General Meeting - Board Nominations
Our AGM is coming up on Oct 29th. The nomination forms of those who have put their names forward to be on the 2019-2020 Board can be viewed using the link below.
There are a few positions for which we have not receive any nominations; Summer Program Chair, Fundraising Chair and Logistics Chair. If you are interested in one of these positions, please talk to any of our current board members to find out more information.
Rib Fest Competition - Call for Entries
- Real McCoy ‘Smoked Ribs’: contestants must put ribs on the ‘heat’ at Cheema from a raw state. No pre-cooking permitted.
- Texas Cheatum ‘Ribs’: (some shade being thrown here me thinks!) contestants can pre-cook Ribs in oven and then heat up at Cheema.
- must provide their own source of ‘heat’
- have ribs ready for judges by 4:30 pm
- will be provided with (and expected to cook) 4 racks of ribs at no cost. 1/2 rack will go to the judges and 3 1/2 racks will be served to those in attendance
- can pick up their ribs at Cheema on Monday, September 2 between 6:00 and 7:00 pm
Our 50th anniversary store is now open online. Order your commemorative clothing today with a couple clicks of your mouse. Visit https://cheema-50th-anniversary.myshopify.com to see what we have to offer.
All net proceeds from clothing sales go to the Cheema Aquatic Club 50th Anniversary Legacy Fund.
Show Your Cheema Pride
Now is the time to gear up and show your Cheema pride. Get $10 off your purchase over $40 from now until July 27th using promo code CHEEMA10 at cheema.entripyshops.com
We're Hiring! Summer Supervisor and Boat Maintenance/Custodian
We're looking to fill these two positions:
- Summer Supervisor
- Boat Maintenance/Custodian.
See the attachmented PDFs for more details.
Cheema Hall of Fame Nomination Forms
Download the Cheema Hall of Fame Guidelines pdf here! The package includes:
- Hall of Fame Eligibility
- Nomination Form-Athlete
- Nomination Form-Team
- Nomination Form-Builder
- Nomination Form-Corporate Citizen
We’re Hiring – Cheema Aquatic Club Kiddie Kayak Program Staffing
- Lead Position
- Support Position
- Support the vision of the head coach in implementing theprogram
- Provide a safe and fun environment for participants
- Promote a climate of respect for participants, coaches, summer supervisor and parents
- Support and develop the social, physical and safety needs of program participants
- Be a positive role model for participants and represent Cheema Aquatic Club in a positive manner
- Lead will provide weekly communications/updates (email) to participant families, board chair and supervisor
- Child Abuse Registry Check,
- Vulnerable Sector Check/ Criminal Background Check,
- Canoe Kids course (to be offered in spring 2019 by ADCKC)
- Small Craft License to operate safety boats
- First Aid training (to be offered in spring of 2019)
Job Application Deadlines Fast Approaching
Just a reminder to anyone interested in coaching at Cheema this summer, the deadlines for applications are fast approaching.
Masters' Coach applications must be received by February 25 at 9am. Resumes and cover letters should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer Program Staff applications must be received no later than February 27 at 5pm. Resumes and cover letters should be sent to email@example.com
Kiddie Kayak postings will be up soon, and applications for these positions will be due no later than March 8. Resumes and cover letters should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please check out the website for details about these positions, and to learn how you can become a part of our wonderful team.
Job Posting - Masters Coach
Masters Coach - Cheema Aquatic Club
Position Type: Part-time
Start Date: April 1, 2019
End Date: April 30, 2020
Salary: Commensurate with skills and experience
Cheema is inviting applications for our Masters Coach position. Reporting to the Head Coach, the successful candidate will be responsible for the annual training program for our Masters program. The Masters program consists of an off-water winter program that runs from November 1 to April 30 every year, and two on-water programs that run from May 1 to October 31 every year. If you are passionate about Canoe/Kayak, and enjoy motivating individuals with a passion for life long sport, this is the job for you!
- Design and implement the training programs for the on-water and off-water sessions, in consultation with the Head Coach and Masters Representative
- Work towards growing the program and attracting new members
- Communication with members
- Annual regatta planning, leading into CanMas each year
The Ideal Candidate:
- Proven leadership and organizational skills with a desire for lifelong activity in the sport of canoe/kayak
- Experience coaching canoe/kayak with adults
- Positive and enthusiastic
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Solid written and oral communication skills
- ELCC Level 1
- Current CPR, First Aid
- Pleasure Craft Operator Licence
- Minimum 3 years coaching experience
- Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC)
- Valid Driver's Licence in good standing
Send your application to: Ed Wark, Masters Representative: email@example.com
Deadline for applications: Monday, February 25, 2019 at 9:00 am AST
Cheema is successful because of its volunteers. Please consider volunteering your time and talent to help us keep supporting our amazing youth. We are currently looking for volunteers in the following areas:
- Canteen - We are looking for someone to run the canteen for the summer. Ideally this would be a shared role, with two people leading the canteen and a large group of volunteers to provide support. Duties include:
- Weekly shopping
- Finding and organizing a parent volunteer schedule (daily from 11-1:30)
- Hiring, scheduling, and paying athlete workers
- Setting up and maintaining tab books
- Working with the treasurer with deposits and spending
- Maintaining a clean and safe canteen environment
Please contact Scott Smith if you have questions or are interested in helping out.
- Fundraising - our board is still missing a fundraising chair. This is a very important position, as our club depends on these funds to run. If you would like more information about what this position entails, please reach out to Nadine, or one of our board members.
- Building and Repairs - We need many volunteers to help keep our facilities and equipment in top shape. Please consider sharing your time and talent to help with boat repairs, dock building/repairs, or upgrading our 1000m course. Please contact Rob Sampson if you can help.
- 1 of 6
- next ›