Now is the time to gear up and show your Cheema pride. Get $10 off your purchase over $40 from now until July 27th using promo code CHEEMA10 at cheema.entripyshops.com
Show Your Cheema Pride
We're Hiring! Summer Supervisor and Boat Maintenance/Custodian
We're looking to fill these two positions:
- Summer Supervisor
- Boat Maintenance/Custodian.
See the attachmented PDFs for more details.
Cheema Hall of Fame Nomination Forms
Download the Cheema Hall of Fame Guidelines pdf here! The package includes:
- Hall of Fame Eligibility
- Nomination Form-Athlete
- Nomination Form-Team
- Nomination Form-Builder
- Nomination Form-Corporate Citizen
We’re Hiring – Cheema Aquatic Club Kiddie Kayak Program Staffing
- Lead Position
- Support Position
- Support the vision of the head coach in implementing theprogram
- Provide a safe and fun environment for participants
- Promote a climate of respect for participants, coaches, summer supervisor and parents
- Support and develop the social, physical and safety needs of program participants
- Be a positive role model for participants and represent Cheema Aquatic Club in a positive manner
- Lead will provide weekly communications/updates (email) to participant families, board chair and supervisor
- Child Abuse Registry Check,
- Vulnerable Sector Check/ Criminal Background Check,
- Canoe Kids course (to be offered in spring 2019 by ADCKC)
- Small Craft License to operate safety boats
- First Aid training (to be offered in spring of 2019)
Job Application Deadlines Fast Approaching
Just a reminder to anyone interested in coaching at Cheema this summer, the deadlines for applications are fast approaching.
Masters' Coach applications must be received by February 25 at 9am. Resumes and cover letters should be sent to email@example.com
Summer Program Staff applications must be received no later than February 27 at 5pm. Resumes and cover letters should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Kiddie Kayak postings will be up soon, and applications for these positions will be due no later than March 8. Resumes and cover letters should be sent to email@example.com
Please check out the website for details about these positions, and to learn how you can become a part of our wonderful team.
Job Posting - Masters Coach
Masters Coach - Cheema Aquatic Club
Position Type: Part-time
Start Date: April 1, 2019
End Date: April 30, 2020
Salary: Commensurate with skills and experience
Cheema is inviting applications for our Masters Coach position. Reporting to the Head Coach, the successful candidate will be responsible for the annual training program for our Masters program. The Masters program consists of an off-water winter program that runs from November 1 to April 30 every year, and two on-water programs that run from May 1 to October 31 every year. If you are passionate about Canoe/Kayak, and enjoy motivating individuals with a passion for life long sport, this is the job for you!
- Design and implement the training programs for the on-water and off-water sessions, in consultation with the Head Coach and Masters Representative
- Work towards growing the program and attracting new members
- Communication with members
- Annual regatta planning, leading into CanMas each year
The Ideal Candidate:
- Proven leadership and organizational skills with a desire for lifelong activity in the sport of canoe/kayak
- Experience coaching canoe/kayak with adults
- Positive and enthusiastic
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Solid written and oral communication skills
- ELCC Level 1
- Current CPR, First Aid
- Pleasure Craft Operator Licence
- Minimum 3 years coaching experience
- Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC)
- Valid Driver's Licence in good standing
Send your application to: Ed Wark, Masters Representative: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: Monday, February 25, 2019 at 9:00 am AST
Cheema is successful because of its volunteers. Please consider volunteering your time and talent to help us keep supporting our amazing youth. We are currently looking for volunteers in the following areas:
- Canteen - We are looking for someone to run the canteen for the summer. Ideally this would be a shared role, with two people leading the canteen and a large group of volunteers to provide support. Duties include:
- Weekly shopping
- Finding and organizing a parent volunteer schedule (daily from 11-1:30)
- Hiring, scheduling, and paying athlete workers
- Setting up and maintaining tab books
- Working with the treasurer with deposits and spending
- Maintaining a clean and safe canteen environment
Please contact Scott Smith if you have questions or are interested in helping out.
- Fundraising - our board is still missing a fundraising chair. This is a very important position, as our club depends on these funds to run. If you would like more information about what this position entails, please reach out to Nadine, or one of our board members.
- Building and Repairs - We need many volunteers to help keep our facilities and equipment in top shape. Please consider sharing your time and talent to help with boat repairs, dock building/repairs, or upgrading our 1000m course. Please contact Rob Sampson if you can help.
We’re Hiring – Cheema Aquatic Club – Summer Program Staffing
Cheema Aquatic Club is accepting applications for a variety of positions for the upcoming 2019 Summer Programs.
Positions to be filled include:
Lead Coaches (U10, U12, U14)
Support Coaches (U10, U12, U14)
Recreation Program Lead (weekly recreation camps)
Recreation Program support
The summer program will run from Tuesday, July 2 to Friday August 23 (~ 8 weeks). Salary will commensurate with experience. Salary Range $11.55 - $14.05
Responsibilities (including, but not limited to)
· Support the vision of the head coach in implementing the summer program
· Provide a safe and fun environment for summer participants
· Promote a climate of respect for athletes, coaches, summer supervisor, officials and parents
· Support and develop the technical skills and fitness of program participants
· Be a positive role model for participants and represent Cheema Aquatic Club in a positive manner
· Lead Coaches will provide weekly communications/updates (email) to participant families, board chair and supervisor
All successful applicants will need to provide:
· Child Abuse Registry Check,
· Vulnerable Sector Check,
· Appropriate Coaching Clinic certification offered by ADCKC – ELCC or Canoe Kids
· Small Craft License to operate safety boats
Interested Applicants should forward a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Applications will be accepted until 5:00 pm on February 27, 2019 – No Late Applications Will Be Considered
Looking for Cleaners
Cheema has recently lost the services of our cleaner so please be patient as we look for someone to fill the gap. If you see something that needs attention around the club please take a moment and help out. If we all do something small, the combined efforts will make a visible difference. Little things like changing the garbage bag, giving the bathroom a quick wipe down after you use it, and picking up litter around the club will make a massive difference.
With regard to the Cheema Cleaner position, we are looking for an individual for 3-4 hours per week to do deeper cleaning at the club. Tasks include sweeping and mopping the change rooms in the boathouse, a damp mop of the weight room, a damp mop of the upstairs common room , stairs and hallways in the clubhouse, disinfection of all door handles in the boathouse and clubhouse, a proper full cleaning of the bathrooms in the clubhouse, and alerting the Facilities Chair of low stock levels of cleaning supplies and when the garbage bins are getting full.
The job is posting at $110 per week. Cheema will supply all cleaning supplies and equipment.
Hours and days are flexible. Tasks could be broken down over multiple days and might suit a parent doing the Cheema drive.
If you might be interested in earning a few extra dollars, or know of someone looking for a job for approximately 3-4 hours per week, please let me know by Saturday, December 1st. We are looking to fill this position ASAP. I would be happy to provide more details on the cleaning tasks. Thanks!
Cheema Facilities Chair
Annual Cheema Auction
Annual General Meeting
As a follow-up to our AGM last week, we have had a nomination posted for the position of Summer Program Chair. Scott Smith put his name in after the AGM, and you will have seen his nomination posted below. Per our Bylaws, there will be a special meeting at the beginning of the Board meeting next week, starting at 7:30 PM. The purpose of the special meeting will be to confirm Scott as the Summer Program Chair.
We still have two Board positions that are vacant. The positions of Fundraising Chair and Communications Chair are still up for grabs. If you have an interest in these positions, please reach out to Andrew Koch. Nominations for these positions must be received by 8:00 PM November 27th so that they can be posted ahead of our December 11th Board meeting.
Upcoming Annual General Meeting
Our AGM is coming up on Oct 30th, starting at 7pm. Please see the links to all thoses who have put their name forward to be part of the 2018-2019 board.
There are a few positions that we did not receive any nominations for; Communications Chair, Fundraising Chair and Facilities Chair. If you are interested in these positions please talk to any of our current board members to find out more information on these positions.
Our annual auction is coming fast! Mark your calendar for Saturday, November 10th. It will be held again this year at Brewsters in Bedford. Paddles go on sale at 4:30pm, auction starts at 6pm.
If you are helping out with auction items, please see the attached donation letter to help you secure a donation.
Hope to see you there!!
Annual General Meeting
The Cheema Annual General Meeting is coming up on Oct 30th. One of the purposes of the AGM is to elect a new Board for the 2018-2019 year. As per the club by-laws, all positions must be filled using a nomination process. The nomination form is below.
All positions are open and we are accepting nominations now. Many positions have current board members offering to return, but there are some positions that are currently “vacant” and in need of someone to fill it. Those “vacant” positions include High Performance Chair, Logistics Chair, Facilities Chair and Communications Chair.
To submit your name for a position, you must complete the nomination form, have someone move and second the nomination, and submit it to the club Secretary, Janie MacKinnon. You must also sign the Cheema Board Member Code of Conduct. The deadline for nominations is 8:00 PM on 16 October 2018.
If you have any questions on the duties and responsibilities of any of the board positions, please feel free to reach out to the person currently filling that position. You can also reach out to Andrew Koch.
Clothing order has been organized!!! Orders need to be submitted to Tall Ships by July 31st. Please see the attached PDF and Excel version of the order form, depending on how you will be submitting your order. This order is guaranteed to be available for pickup on August 23rd, just in time for Nationals!
All information on submitting your order is on the order form.
After School Program
Cheema Aquatic Club will be offering an After School Program starting September 2018. The program will run from 2:00pm until 5:30pm Monday to Friday, also offering Full Day PD days. Cheema is well established in our community with close to 50 years experience in building our Canadian youth. Our program will take full advantage of our beautiful secluded 20 acre property, infrastructure and equipment, as well as the MacDonald Sports Parks that is adjacent to Cheema and are connected through our walking trails.
For more information on the program click here.
2018 Paddle-A-Thon is just around the corner! This year, paddlers will hit the water on August 14, 2018 to raise funds for Cheema's summer program. Our goal is a lofty one...$15,000!!! Money raised will help fund our safety and summer program boat and equipment purchases and a NEW Lean To slated to be built this the Fall.
Participant pledge packages will be distributed on July 25 by the coaches of each program group. If your child did not receive one, please contact Nadine.
Check out this year's fundraising incentives (there are both individual and team incentives) and some tips for fundraising success.
World Championships Send-off BBQ
We will be having a send-off BBQ for our National Athletes who are going to Worlds on August 1st. Michelle Russell, Craig Spence and Marshall Hughes will all be traveling to Portugal to compete at the 2018 ICF Canoe Sprint & Paracanoe World Championships from August 21st -25th. Please join us on August 1 to wish these guys good luck! We will be sparking up the BBQ with burgers and sausages. We are asking members if they could contribute salads, sweets, and drinks for the event. BBQ will start at 5pm.
New Regatta Tents on the Way!!!
In late June, Sawyer Capes (High Performance), Matthew Casey (PaddleAll) and Elle MacKenzie (Summer Program) made a pitch to Jim Mills, President and CEO of Office Interiors Group to purchase some new Cheema branded tents . Mr. Mills, who had no direct connection to Cheema, agreed purchased three brand new 10 x 10 tents for Cheema, a contribution valued at $2,500. The sponsorship pitch team made a GREAT impression and the tents are already on order. Keep an eye out for them at competitions later this summer. Thank you to Mr. Mills and Office Interiors Group for their support of our paddlers.
On behalf of all the current and future paddlers of Cheema, we would like to say a big thank you to all who supported our #Bucks4Boats GoFundMe Campaign. We are pleased to report the grand total is $15,616 + $1,000 in Nelo bucks to be credited at purchase. It takes a lot of operational resources to run an organization like Cheema. To have funds dedicated for the sole purpose of improving our fleet is an amazing gift. Thank you everyone for your generosity and belief in the youth of our community. Stay tuned for a thank you video and other #Bucks4Boats celebrations to come.
- 1 of 5
- next ›