Cheema Spring Camp Online 50/50 Raffle
For those who were unable to attend the AGM on October 29, you can access both the Commodore's report and Treasurer's report below.
Annual General Meeting - Board Nominations
Our AGM is coming up on Oct 29th. The nomination forms of those who have put their names forward to be on the 2019-2020 Board can be viewed using the link below.
There are a few positions for which we have not receive any nominations; Summer Program Chair, Fundraising Chair and Logistics Chair. If you are interested in one of these positions, please talk to any of our current board members to find out more information.
Rib Fest Competition - Call for Entries
- Real McCoy ‘Smoked Ribs’: contestants must put ribs on the ‘heat’ at Cheema from a raw state. No pre-cooking permitted.
- Texas Cheatum ‘Ribs’: (some shade being thrown here me thinks!) contestants can pre-cook Ribs in oven and then heat up at Cheema.
- must provide their own source of ‘heat’
- have ribs ready for judges by 4:30 pm
- will be provided with (and expected to cook) 4 racks of ribs at no cost. 1/2 rack will go to the judges and 3 1/2 racks will be served to those in attendance
- can pick up their ribs at Cheema on Monday, September 2 between 6:00 and 7:00 pm
Our 50th anniversary store is now open online. Order your commemorative clothing today with a couple clicks of your mouse. Visit https://cheema-50th-anniversary.myshopify.com to see what we have to offer.
All net proceeds from clothing sales go to the Cheema Aquatic Club 50th Anniversary Legacy Fund.
Show Your Cheema Pride
Now is the time to gear up and show your Cheema pride. Get $10 off your purchase over $40 from now until July 27th using promo code CHEEMA10 at cheema.entripyshops.com
We're Hiring! Summer Supervisor and Boat Maintenance/Custodian
We're looking to fill these two positions:
- Summer Supervisor
- Boat Maintenance/Custodian.
See the attachmented PDFs for more details.
Cheema Hall of Fame Nomination Forms
Download the Cheema Hall of Fame Guidelines pdf here! The package includes:
- Hall of Fame Eligibility
- Nomination Form-Athlete
- Nomination Form-Team
- Nomination Form-Builder
- Nomination Form-Corporate Citizen
We’re Hiring – Cheema Aquatic Club Kiddie Kayak Program Staffing
- Lead Position
- Support Position
- Support the vision of the head coach in implementing theprogram
- Provide a safe and fun environment for participants
- Promote a climate of respect for participants, coaches, summer supervisor and parents
- Support and develop the social, physical and safety needs of program participants
- Be a positive role model for participants and represent Cheema Aquatic Club in a positive manner
- Lead will provide weekly communications/updates (email) to participant families, board chair and supervisor
- Child Abuse Registry Check,
- Vulnerable Sector Check/ Criminal Background Check,
- Canoe Kids course (to be offered in spring 2019 by ADCKC)
- Small Craft License to operate safety boats
- First Aid training (to be offered in spring of 2019)
Job Application Deadlines Fast Approaching
Just a reminder to anyone interested in coaching at Cheema this summer, the deadlines for applications are fast approaching.
Masters' Coach applications must be received by February 25 at 9am. Resumes and cover letters should be sent to email@example.com
Summer Program Staff applications must be received no later than February 27 at 5pm. Resumes and cover letters should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Kiddie Kayak postings will be up soon, and applications for these positions will be due no later than March 8. Resumes and cover letters should be sent to email@example.com
Please check out the website for details about these positions, and to learn how you can become a part of our wonderful team.
Job Posting - Masters Coach
Masters Coach - Cheema Aquatic Club
Position Type: Part-time
Start Date: April 1, 2019
End Date: April 30, 2020
Salary: Commensurate with skills and experience
Cheema is inviting applications for our Masters Coach position. Reporting to the Head Coach, the successful candidate will be responsible for the annual training program for our Masters program. The Masters program consists of an off-water winter program that runs from November 1 to April 30 every year, and two on-water programs that run from May 1 to October 31 every year. If you are passionate about Canoe/Kayak, and enjoy motivating individuals with a passion for life long sport, this is the job for you!
- Design and implement the training programs for the on-water and off-water sessions, in consultation with the Head Coach and Masters Representative
- Work towards growing the program and attracting new members
- Communication with members
- Annual regatta planning, leading into CanMas each year
The Ideal Candidate:
- Proven leadership and organizational skills with a desire for lifelong activity in the sport of canoe/kayak
- Experience coaching canoe/kayak with adults
- Positive and enthusiastic
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Solid written and oral communication skills
- ELCC Level 1
- Current CPR, First Aid
- Pleasure Craft Operator Licence
- Minimum 3 years coaching experience
- Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC)
- Valid Driver's Licence in good standing
Send your application to: Ed Wark, Masters Representative: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: Monday, February 25, 2019 at 9:00 am AST
Cheema is successful because of its volunteers. Please consider volunteering your time and talent to help us keep supporting our amazing youth. We are currently looking for volunteers in the following areas:
- Canteen - We are looking for someone to run the canteen for the summer. Ideally this would be a shared role, with two people leading the canteen and a large group of volunteers to provide support. Duties include:
- Weekly shopping
- Finding and organizing a parent volunteer schedule (daily from 11-1:30)
- Hiring, scheduling, and paying athlete workers
- Setting up and maintaining tab books
- Working with the treasurer with deposits and spending
- Maintaining a clean and safe canteen environment
Please contact Scott Smith if you have questions or are interested in helping out.
- Fundraising - our board is still missing a fundraising chair. This is a very important position, as our club depends on these funds to run. If you would like more information about what this position entails, please reach out to Nadine, or one of our board members.
- Building and Repairs - We need many volunteers to help keep our facilities and equipment in top shape. Please consider sharing your time and talent to help with boat repairs, dock building/repairs, or upgrading our 1000m course. Please contact Rob Sampson if you can help.
We’re Hiring – Cheema Aquatic Club – Summer Program Staffing
Cheema Aquatic Club is accepting applications for a variety of positions for the upcoming 2019 Summer Programs.
Positions to be filled include:
Lead Coaches (U10, U12, U14)
Support Coaches (U10, U12, U14)
Recreation Program Lead (weekly recreation camps)
Recreation Program support
The summer program will run from Tuesday, July 2 to Friday August 23 (~ 8 weeks). Salary will commensurate with experience. Salary Range $11.55 - $14.05
Responsibilities (including, but not limited to)
· Support the vision of the head coach in implementing the summer program
· Provide a safe and fun environment for summer participants
· Promote a climate of respect for athletes, coaches, summer supervisor, officials and parents
· Support and develop the technical skills and fitness of program participants
· Be a positive role model for participants and represent Cheema Aquatic Club in a positive manner
· Lead Coaches will provide weekly communications/updates (email) to participant families, board chair and supervisor
All successful applicants will need to provide:
· Child Abuse Registry Check,
· Vulnerable Sector Check,
· Appropriate Coaching Clinic certification offered by ADCKC – ELCC or Canoe Kids
· Small Craft License to operate safety boats
Interested Applicants should forward a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Applications will be accepted until 5:00 pm on February 27, 2019 – No Late Applications Will Be Considered
Looking for Cleaners
Cheema has recently lost the services of our cleaner so please be patient as we look for someone to fill the gap. If you see something that needs attention around the club please take a moment and help out. If we all do something small, the combined efforts will make a visible difference. Little things like changing the garbage bag, giving the bathroom a quick wipe down after you use it, and picking up litter around the club will make a massive difference.
With regard to the Cheema Cleaner position, we are looking for an individual for 3-4 hours per week to do deeper cleaning at the club. Tasks include sweeping and mopping the change rooms in the boathouse, a damp mop of the weight room, a damp mop of the upstairs common room , stairs and hallways in the clubhouse, disinfection of all door handles in the boathouse and clubhouse, a proper full cleaning of the bathrooms in the clubhouse, and alerting the Facilities Chair of low stock levels of cleaning supplies and when the garbage bins are getting full.
The job is posting at $110 per week. Cheema will supply all cleaning supplies and equipment.
Hours and days are flexible. Tasks could be broken down over multiple days and might suit a parent doing the Cheema drive.
If you might be interested in earning a few extra dollars, or know of someone looking for a job for approximately 3-4 hours per week, please let me know by Saturday, December 1st. We are looking to fill this position ASAP. I would be happy to provide more details on the cleaning tasks. Thanks!
Cheema Facilities Chair
Annual Cheema Auction
Annual General Meeting
As a follow-up to our AGM last week, we have had a nomination posted for the position of Summer Program Chair. Scott Smith put his name in after the AGM, and you will have seen his nomination posted below. Per our Bylaws, there will be a special meeting at the beginning of the Board meeting next week, starting at 7:30 PM. The purpose of the special meeting will be to confirm Scott as the Summer Program Chair.
We still have two Board positions that are vacant. The positions of Fundraising Chair and Communications Chair are still up for grabs. If you have an interest in these positions, please reach out to Andrew Koch. Nominations for these positions must be received by 8:00 PM November 27th so that they can be posted ahead of our December 11th Board meeting.
Upcoming Annual General Meeting
Our AGM is coming up on Oct 30th, starting at 7pm. Please see the links to all thoses who have put their name forward to be part of the 2018-2019 board.
There are a few positions that we did not receive any nominations for; Communications Chair, Fundraising Chair and Facilities Chair. If you are interested in these positions please talk to any of our current board members to find out more information on these positions.
Our annual auction is coming fast! Mark your calendar for Saturday, November 10th. It will be held again this year at Brewsters in Bedford. Paddles go on sale at 4:30pm, auction starts at 6pm.
If you are helping out with auction items, please see the attached donation letter to help you secure a donation.
Hope to see you there!!
Annual General Meeting
The Cheema Annual General Meeting is coming up on Oct 30th. One of the purposes of the AGM is to elect a new Board for the 2018-2019 year. As per the club by-laws, all positions must be filled using a nomination process. The nomination form is below.
All positions are open and we are accepting nominations now. Many positions have current board members offering to return, but there are some positions that are currently “vacant” and in need of someone to fill it. Those “vacant” positions include High Performance Chair, Logistics Chair, Facilities Chair and Communications Chair.
To submit your name for a position, you must complete the nomination form, have someone move and second the nomination, and submit it to the club Secretary, Janie MacKinnon. You must also sign the Cheema Board Member Code of Conduct. The deadline for nominations is 8:00 PM on 16 October 2018.
If you have any questions on the duties and responsibilities of any of the board positions, please feel free to reach out to the person currently filling that position. You can also reach out to Andrew Koch.
Clothing order has been organized!!! Orders need to be submitted to Tall Ships by July 31st. Please see the attached PDF and Excel version of the order form, depending on how you will be submitting your order. This order is guaranteed to be available for pickup on August 23rd, just in time for Nationals!
All information on submitting your order is on the order form.
- 1 of 5
- next ›